Image Size:

Southern Green

1971 Southern Green.

Boating on Southern Green Pond 1985 with Guy and Dominic Warren from the farmhouse and Edward and Nick Hill from Bachelors.

1989 Southern Green Farm 17th C. Sold by Julians and the barns converted.

Early 1900s Ben Cannon (related to the Dudleys of Cumberlow Green) lived here and because of his passion for shooting is buried with his hat and gun in Rushden churchyard.

The Cannons later moved to Hyde Hall, Sandon. In the 1930s Dr van der Borght lived at the Farm until he moved to the Oaks. He used to make and distribute his own medicines during the war. In the 1940s he built the Maples for his housekeeper. He is buried in the churchyard.

Mr Rowley from Tottenham farmed at Southern Green Farm during the war and after his death, his daughter sold the farm to Mrs Pleydell-Bouverie. Rowley's farm manager was Mr Harry Phillips who also managed Friar's Farm and founded the Village Committee - a plaque in memory of him is in the Village Hall.

Cannons also lived at Daisy Cottage (now Old Well Cottage). In the 1940s Johnny Wright and his wife lived there, having previously lived at Thistley near Shaw Green Lane and then No 7 Mill End, both of which burnt down. Johnny Wright used to take chickens and eggs to market in Hitchin. His wife was the cook at Julians.

Southern Green House. Built in 1890 by Wade of St Neots. Was the Vicarage until the 1940s. The Vicarage has been on this site at Southern Green since 1631. The Glebelands (land belonging to the Vicar/Church) are the meadows on either side of the road between The Oaks and Southern Green House.

Whit Monday 1934 at the Vicarage (now Southern Green House). Kit Verling, her mother and sister and Jim Wyatt. The Vicarage had two tennis courts and the Vicar Mr Circuit used to take in highclass paying guests before marrying a cousin of the Queen Mother.

Vicarage Fete 1940s.

1960s poster designed by Geoffrey Chalk. Two fetes were also held on Southern Green.

Southern Cottage with original clapboard peculiar to Hertfordshire. This used to be two cottages. Peggy Warner's sister, Violet Brown, lived there in the 1930s.

Peggy's brother, Ron Warner, 1939.

Youngloves Cottage.

1940s The Hunt at Southern Green.

No 4, Stile End, Southern Green and No 3 (Moonshine).

Bachelors early 1980s in its Suffolk Pink days. The Sworder family lived here.

Piggyback at Glebe Farm 1970s.

Farmed by Ron Warner and his father in the 1940s and 50s they supplied the milk and delivered to Sandon. After milking the cows, purifying and then bottling, the milk round would start about 10.30am and finish at 4pm. Then the bottles had to be sterilised. It was a long way round and as milk was important during the war, no one could be left out.

Westside was built by Ron Warner in 1953 on the old orchard.

Previous Chapter: Church EndTop of PageNext Chapter: Present Day